Notice Of Intending Prosecution

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by t0m541, Apr 22, 2016.

1. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Your insurance still being on the vehicle might be part of the reason why the police have contacted you, as although you have sold the vehicle and he owns it, the bike is insured in your name still and you could still be the person riding it! You don't have to own it to insure it.

Don't forget the police database checks tax, insurance, ownership etc!

He might have already had the NIP and falsely said you were riding it! To try and get away with it.

Slightly naive or foolish on your part to save money by not cancelling your insurance

2. T.C

T.C Elite Member

2 points. Why should the Police apologise to you? In order to comply with the pre action protocols and PACE they have complied with theor obligations of sending the NIP to tje last know registered keeper. The fact that you have sold it and the data base has not yet been updated has nothing to do with them. So forget an apology.

In respect of your second comment, the reporting copper will have used the PNC which is plumbed into all the other databases to get all nown facts. He will have carried out standard checks in regards of registered keeper. Just becaue you have a letter from DVLA does not mean that all other platforms have been updates.

Bear in mind that the NIP is what it says on the tin, a Notice of INTENDED Prosecution. It is not telling you that you will be prosecuted, it is under consideration of the question, hence the reason why you need to provide details of who you sold it to.

And as said, if your insurance is still running on the old bike, not only does your insurance remain valid under your name in the event of a crash which will affect your no claims and future premiums, it may also be deemed as an aid and abet offence given the evl of criminality being displayed by the current owner.

• Like Like x 1
  3. t0m541

t0m541 Senior Member

My insurance wanted £55 to cancel a £90 policy that had 6 months left on it, or £35 to transfer the policy to another bike of smaller engine size that is an off road (trials bike), that is an ornament in my lounge.
    I'll see what the Police say on Monday when I drop in to see them, though I don't doubt they will try to sting me for some random offence if they think they can get it to stick and get themselves a good boy badge..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

You're not gonna get prosecuted for the for the dodgy riding this blokes been doing,that's obvious once the police gather all the information. On the insurance matter,in the eyes of the law you're no better than the bloke you sold your bike too. You're falsely insuring a motor vehicle. In the event he (or someone he passes the bike onto as the police are after him) has a serious accident you're insurance stands. By the time the insurance company has finished recouping their losses through the courts you won't have a bean to your name,for the sake of £35o_O
    I sympathise with you,I lost a years no claims and had to pay an administration fee even tho the policy was fully paid,for the sake of 6 weeks:mad:

5. Abb

Abb Active Member

£55 to cancel a £90 policy?? That's just madness! Who is the ins co juts out of curiosity, just so I can avoid them! lol

6. t0m541

t0m541 Senior Member

Devitt is the company, even to move the cover onto my trials bike was going to be £35 plus extra premium..

7. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

The police won't prosecute you mate, all they want is the idiot who was riding the bike. I know it's a gutting having the ins comp screw you I think they all much the same & it's happened to me...but honestly you need to cancel it

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. dave d

dave d Elite Member

9. scooby

scooby Elite Member

so you'll be wanting an apology from the insurance company aswell now.

but i'm sure if you go into the police station with your obvious love for them,they'll bend over backwards to look after you,and no doubt get you a cake as a form of apology.

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. scooby

scooby Elite Member