Notify your insurance.....?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Repsol Rob, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Nutty Tart

Nutty Tart Well-Known Member

Seeing as you asked .... it's hind site ... hind as in rear quarters of a horse ... as in looking back .. :yes4:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Caz

Caz Active Member

That'd be because if your bike got damaged they would have to have the paint job re done not just use standard. Also it possibly increases the theft risk if it makes the bike more desirable...

3. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Anything that can be construed as performance enhancing can cause a potentially cause a problem with regard to a accident claim and as such should be reported immediately. We're already walking a knife edge with our insurers as to how they can possibly get out of fulfilling their agreement with us. If we then compound it by using a vehicle that doesn't fully match with the one on the original paperwork we're just letting them in.

I remember, jokingly, when being asked if there were any performance enhancements on my wife's crappy old Metro, that I said I'd put higher power headlight bulbs in and the broker said that it had to be declared as it meant she could drive faster at night. He wasn't smiling, either, so I've always been particularly anal about my discussions with insurers ever since. Even things like if the bike is stolen within 500 yards of the location that I've declared it will be overnighted but not in it. It's not covered. It's the kind of small print it's all too easy to scan by without absorbing. Once I'm a bit more attractive to insurers after my recent claim, I'm going to go back to a local broker. A face across the table who understands all the pitfalls and will deal with them as a matter of course.

4. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

My policy states that my bike must be locked in my garage after 7.00pm . If the bike is stolen from outside my mates house or work then that is fine but outside my house after 7.00pm i am screwed lol

5. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, I'm afraid to stop at the shops in the village on the way home from work as they're only 400 yards away.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

A friend of mine bought his wife a £22000 Audi A3 she left the keys in it whilst in her village shop and someone drove off with it! My mate said the flowers that came with the car lasted longer: 3 DAYS and you guessed it, the insurance would not pay out. A lot of money to lose!

7. vino

vino New Member

I'm of the general school of thought that 'if in doubt, declare it'. I'd rather pay an extra £150 a year beacuse of the shiny bits I've put on, than have a claim rejected because I didn't tell them.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Movistar

Movistar Active Member

my dealer advised to declare - they will use any excuse not to pay out these days

9. JM1

JM1 Active Member

I find it very strange that kpone isn't frothing at the mouth and posting furiously about this statement!
    Have you warned him off or something?

10. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member