Opps - Broke me Leg

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by RepsolSam, Sep 21, 2014.

1. RepsolSam

RepsolSam Well-Known Member

Hmm will check this out..dont want to tell the insurance company I had an accident though..as that will go on my record for no reason...as I'm not claiming..

2. RepsolSam

Guys thanks all for the get well wishes...

1 month on..I think I have decided to try to sleep at night..as pain catches up..then one kids starts crying, if its not that then it's something else..and my little weak sleep gets disturbed...lol..

Also had an update..the bike is not really in ridable condition.. I would not trust it to ride all the way back...

3. RepsolSam

Had a quote back from Shiply - guy had 5 feed back

£336 transported in a van - insured...he is coming from Italy..

just had another this morning for the the same amount with 1342 feed back - TEuropeltd

anyone here used Shiply before...thinking what are the chances of bike going missing or arriving with more damage then it left?

4. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Everyone's got to start somewhere mate, the bloke with 1000's of feedback only had 5 once.

I would just check he had experience moving bikes so it's not strapped down I correctly causing risk of falling or scraping/rubbing

#44 martinowen, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  5. RepsolSam

fair point...when i see a feed back like this it put me off..

so in thinking mode...do i trust the 3rd party...they say they are insured...but does this really mean anything...

not sure what happens once i accept the quote, as i dont want to find my bike goes missing - shiply say they have only addresses of these people on file..

"I would avoid this company at all costs, they have not delivered a £1200 chair and keep making promises to deliver it which they break. Please contact me directly if you want to see the email trail of false promises not kept. Not an honest carrier"

6. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

balls only just seen this and not good news and hope your healing ok bud

7. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

Did you get your bike back?

8. RepsolSam

Will be finalising the offer tomorrow.

Getting it via a quote I got on Shiply - £281 (includes £31 Shiply fee)

Guy is in Italy and heading to the UK in a van and transports bikes.

Collecting Sunday at 11am, and driving straight to me..should arrive on Monday afternoon.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RepsolSam

Having some last minute thoughts....

Anyone ever got a bike transported from Europe to UK?

Will there any issues at border crossing? As I read bike is classes as a vehicle and not goods...?

10. RepsolSam

I feel for people who completely loose these legs..been little over a month now..

Its not easy!

Infection healing real slow...according to the docs I should have been walking little by now...still the thought of going out with this thing on puts me off...and its cold!!

Not really wanting to go out.
    Have started working from home..guessed it...IT :)

My bone shattered when they removed the Italian device as I call it from my leg..as it was lodged in the fracture site..

Some pics as I got a copy of the xrays..

uploadfromtaptalk1411803581055.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1411803671723.jpg

Attached Files:

11. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

Sound like a Medical negligence case may need investigating, do you belong to a trade union?
    You have had what's known as 'A bit O' bother' in these parts. Psychologically you will be taking a hammering right now, sit tight and hang on it will pass in time and very soon a light will appear at the end of the tunnel. Our doctor's take a bit of stick, but in these cases you have the best on your side.
    You are on the right road now keep going forward.
    Good luck,
    Mike.

12. T.C

T.C Elite Member

Unlike personal injury claims where jurisdiction can be transferred from the country where the injury occured back to the UK providing there is an ongoing financial loss, it does not work in medical negligence claims.

In other words, if you have a crash on the bike anywhere in the world and you suffer an ongoing loss here in the UK, then a UK solicitor can be instructed, UK rules apply and the case is transferred back to the UK and is handled in the same way as if the crah had happened in the UK.

To start proceedings for clin neg claims in say Italy where statute of liability if memory serves me right is 12 months, the claimant has to find and fund their legal representation themselves in the country where the cliam originated, so whether a member of a union or not makes no difference.

I imagine in time things will change and clin neg claims probably will be transferrable, but at the moment, unfortunately not unless you have the funds, time and energy to find and instruct a solicitor in the country where the claim originated.

13. Ritchierich

Ritchierich Well-Known Member

That looks like my xray but mine is in the middle, however I know what you mean about going out and walking on it. Just got back from walking the dog up a hill near me and leg is killing,downhill was the worst flat ok but Doc says I have to walk on it for it to heal and strengthen. Next appointment is 15th Oct so lots of walking to do before then so I can get this thing off my leg and get back to work again, been 16 weeks now and I just want to get back to normal again as you must feel too.
    All the best with your healing and you know the saying "No Pain No Gain" which bastard wrote that I wonder????

14. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

A colleague had a problem with a very low chance of success, no ambulance chasing company would touch it. His union insured his potential loss... funding the case, he was successful. Not saying it's without problem, but maybe worth a phone call.
    Mike.

15. T.C

T.C Elite Member

If you read my post, it is not about being a low or high chance of success. If this had occured in the UK it would be a bang to rights clin neg case. It is jurisdiction that is the issue.

The negligence occured outside the UK, that is the issue.

Believe me, if jurisdiction could be transferred, then my firm would have dozens of them on the go.

16. Givover

Givover God Like

Having spoken to TC very recently ,I can honestly say he is a good dude with a wealth of traffic law knowledge due to his vast experience in all aspects of the game .Tony is very helpful and select information was asked for and freely given .Mike.

17. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

Sorry, I didn't explain very well I was using that example of a funding source. I understood your jurisdiction view but I was addressing the funding issue. If the Union would fund a case in the relevant place. I have no wish to contend your obvious knowledge on the subject I'm not a lawyer.
    Mike.

• Like Like x 1
  18. T.C

T.C Elite Member

Ah, funding, :) that is a different issue altogether. It is possible, but I would not hold my breath.

But, the issue still remains that even if union funding was available for further investigation, which in clin neg cases requires copy of all medical records, overseas authorities do not like to and very rarely co-operate with overseas requests,.

Medical experts here in the UK could probably provide sufficient expert evidence of opinion based on the x-rays taken here in the UK, but unions are nt going to throw money down a bottomless pit if there is little chance of getting a result.

19. RepsolSam

Will look into this medical misconduct...shall I pick the first link in google...? Or anyone been through this and recommend some one to use?

The consultant who xray'd me was not at all impressed with the device and location it was fitted..seeing that 3 weeks on I'm still infected...with small signs of improvement is not good...

[​IMG]

20. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member