Orange Repsol wheels

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Big Jim, May 22, 2011.

1. djfleming22

djfleming22 Active Member

I think that you might be able find some painters to do this but buying the powder coat will cost more as it would have to be made specially as we all know the cost jumps up quite a lot .... so it would have to be a group buy to make it cost effective ..... i think that is why most times people just go with the RAL 2003

2. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

3. stevebetts

stevebetts Well-Known Member

Looks orange to me!

4. Hudson

Hudson Active Member

Can't the wheels be just taken off and sprayed with a laquer, ie the same as the bike and car bodywork paintwork ? This will stop the paint coming off on the cloths.

5. djfleming22

djfleming22 Active Member

I got the paint as above from ebay it was not a bad color match but was darker when sprayed on....the wheels are painted 4 times white and 4 times so it is very hard to get a color match ...remember a lot of paint manufactures offer solvent paints which are no good as your wheels are painted using water based in the end i tried plenty of paint shops but they could not get exactly the right color if it was close the part of the wheel you sprayed looked slightly darker as if it was marked i ended up getting them powder coated in the RAL 2003 color yes they are not and exact match but i don't think you will get that unless you take them to a very good painter the quotes i was getting was a £400 to repaint both wheels as the painter said that you could touch up the side and get not a bad color match but if its in the middle the part painted will always look darker unless you spray the whole wheel..... so at £102 powder coated both wheels and they do look good

As for lacquering the wheels you cannot unless it has been freshly painted or you have rubbed the wheels down with sandpaper as the lacquer will not bond with old paint and will just flake off taking your orange with it

#25 djfleming22, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  6. sync24

sync24 Active Member

Thought I'd share my tip - I use parafin on my Repsol wheels, put a liberal amount on a old clean rag and it lifts all sh1te right off - especially chain lube ETC - then I wash them down with hot soapy water - finally a good polish like MER but I dont polish them that often - Love to get them powder coated as I mentioned elsewhere in this post - but I'm concerned about the colour match.
    Kev.

7. sync24

sync24 Active Member

I did some more digging tonight as I still want to get my wheels powder coated. The USA repsolforum.com forum has a post from someone who works closely with the GP team - It seems the RC212V rims are powder coated in 'STRIKER' Orange a 2 coat powder. You can take a look at the post here : Repsol Forum Post on powder coating rims

I am gonna drop Andy at Triple 'S' Powder Coating to see if he can do it - may be some others would be interested as well which will bring down the cost as it's gonna be a special order I imagine.

8. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

You should have asked...lol. Let me tell you stricker orange is BRIGHT! And nothing like what you have now... The oem wheels do last but they have to be treated with total care, no harsh washes like fairy etc, I would not use oil based cleaners imo as they will end up thining paint even more.. just nice ph balanced wash and a good coat of wax. When at there worst the wheels end up yellow.. Be nice to see what you come up with.

9. Hobey600

Hobey600 Active Member

I got a pot of touch up paint when I had my bike re sprayed into repsol colors. I know I've never had any orange on my cloth after cleaning, I haven't noticed any colour coming off Dave's (dave-uk) wheels either.

10. arthurbikemad

Its an odd one this and I think a lot of its a case of whats been used in the past to start it, as you say Jo I have never had any orange come off mine but my mates RR7 has loads and the wheels are badly faded, also I have seen customers RR10 with the same problem.. :(

11. sync24

sync24 Active Member

Andy has come back and said he can't match that colour :( - all I want to do is get me rims powder coated - it seems to be a right PITA trying to get them sorted with. They are OKish but I am a perfectionist and there are some dings, chips and scratches from my monster Almax chain I used whilst I was daily commuting to London and I want to get them sorted. I guess if all else fails then it'll be a repaint and re-lacquer.

Anyone recommend someone in Kent or the surrounding areas I can take them to for paint? [unless Arthurbikemad has any other ideas?]

12. arthurbikemad

Only idea at the mo would be to PM si1000repsol he had some orange powdercoat done a little while back in the London area from what I remember it looked good match.

13. rocket

rocket Active Member

just took my tdr250 frame to the powder coaters yesterday and had a look at there colour swatches. had an orange that looked very similar but would have to pop in on my bike and try the swatch against the wheel. be great if it were a good match!

14. arthurbikemad

I find powder coat colours are limited but I know there is one close to Repsol OEM orange and the GP so called Striker orange.. You could also drop an email to CZ as they sell there wheels pre coated in Repsol orange too, they may give you the powder colour code... worth an ask...

15. sync24

sync24 Active Member

The nearest powder coat is RAL2003, which I know sirepsol used for parts [and others in the US too]. Looks like this is gonna be a lost cause. FYI the factory paint code is 'vibrant orange - YR250' - I have not heard of CZ :confused:

16. arthurbikemad

• Like Like x 2