Paul the 6th 1 - 0 Mr Pheasant

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Yorkshire Tyke, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Lol! Maybe. My guess is its flown upwards (as they do) and jarred the lid into his cheek.

Was going to say was it a bit loose? But you'd be surprised the impact / damage a bird that size could do at 60mph ;) lol

2. Paul the 6th

Paul the 6th New Member

Hiya guys,

had a good 10 hours sleep but finally woke up properly about 5am.. Feeling a bit like I've been hit in the face with a baseball bat and my neck keeps giving me shooting pains when I move my head in certain directions. Apart from that I'm just amazed at how lucky I've been. Keep running over all the other possible outcomes and have to say mine is the luckiest.. Didn't come off the bike, no one else involved, no damage to the bike, didn't lose my eyesight, and only minor injuries which'll heal over the next week or 2. Just so so lucky. Might have to change my username to lucky lol..

Gonna tell the girls that 4 armed robbers burst into the bank... I messed them up good and proper.
    photo.JPG

Oh and re: the helmet, it was a brand new Arai Tour X4 which I bought myself for christmas, first time out using it, visor was closed shut, the bird flew upwards from the grass on the nearside of the bike, into my left cheek area of the helmet, and at that point I think it's wedged under the sun-peak thing and ripped the helmet upwards - at 60mph there's gonna bit a bit of force involved - so the chin bar has ripped upwards and twatted my cheek/eye socket.

Re: location, it was just after the jump near the sun inn, about halfway between helmsley and chop gate, although I know exactly where T0m541 is talking about, just north of chop gate there were about 50 splattered pheasants on the road not so long ago, must have been trying to keep warm at night by sitting on the road and garnering some of the residual heat in the road maybe?

All in all, lucky boy. Counting my blessings. Thanks for all the get well soon/comedy/piss taking messages, they're keeping the smile on my face :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Are you sure it was only 60 you hit it at. ...

This turned up in my garden shortly afterwards...

image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. Paul the 6th

Paul the 6th New Member

I'll take care of that for you buddy, just let me get my helmet out.....

• Like Like x 4
  5. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Note to self..............................

Never be tempted to buy a peaked lid!

Arari Tour X.jpg

6. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Glad you're OK, Paul. That must've been one hell of a thump. That road's an absolute bugger for the things. At certain times of year it largely ruins the road because of them littering the place. I hit one a couple of years ago just before getting to Chop Gate. Fortunately it hit my right fork leg and not me. Had to ride home and rinse its guts out of the fairing and could just smell cooking pheasant :D

Plenty of Ibuprofen to take down the swelling and deal with the pain, mate.

7. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Bird gives bloke a black eye over the new year period. It's like Jeremy Kyle on 2 wheels ;)

• Like Like x 2
  8. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Wow glad your ok Paul, does make you think! Had a deer run out in front of me in the summer only just missed the twat!

9. steve b

steve b Active Member

Glad to see youre ok paul

10. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Lucky escape mate, I had a close escape like lambchops two years ago when a deer and two young ran out in front of me when I was doing about 50mph near Hartney Witney in Hampshire! Two weeks ago on the same road a car was written off by a single deer

11. Alblade

Alblade God Like

How are the bruises now - as you say very lucky indeed.

Slightly daft question - but has the experience put you of buying another peaked lid or you just see it as a total one-off and happy to replace (or continue to use) the lid?

12. lambeth longshanks

lambeth longshanks Active Member

Hiya, Paul. Nasty thump, mate. As you say, could've been worse.
    Has your neck been x-rayed?

13. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Did you know leeds were going to lose 6-0 the the owls today

Scary

14. Paul the 6th

Paul the 6th New Member

Well… in 7 years of riding I've had 2 strikes, one blackbird at 80mph to the chest, and 1 pheasant at 60 mph to the face. Both of which I could read into and forecast that in the next 14 years I'll have 2 of each again…. but that would be suggesting statistically, wild life has a memory and remembers a set schedule. Had a tour x3 helmet for the last 6 years and never had a problem with getting struck in the face. Just happened to replace that helmet with a tour x4 2 months ago, and then fred the pheasant decides the 2nd of jan is the day to come and have an extreme close up of my gorgeous blue eyes (ladies of york speaking btw).. Love the helmet/fit/design/quality. The fact I didn't lose any eye sight or break any bones surely must be a testament to the quality & construction.. Staying on was a mix of me being 6ft 2"/18 stone/experienced enough not to panic… So, in summary, yes I'd have the same helmet again :)

Cheers Lambeth! yeah had an x-ray in hospital, no broken bones anywhere luckily. Just the soft tissue damage. Such a lucky boy considering the 1000x other possible outcomes I could have had.

Guessing that's a football reference… Proper Yorkshire lads don't follow football. I will however forward this on to people who follow football for further analysis. Thanking you. :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. lambeth longshanks

lambeth longshanks Active Member

Glad you're ok, shipmate. Phew!