Putting the blade to bed for winter

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Remal, Oct 12, 2011.

1. rocket

rocket Active Member

might drag mine out on a nice cold winters day just to keep my hand in as they say but didnt pass car test till late 20,s so had enough of all year all weather riding back then. its only a toy now and usually have a second bike around (although not as of 2 weeks ago but always looking for a replacement.) that i,m not as fussy with. i,m lucky enough to work within a mile of home so easy enough to walk / cycle if needed not that i ever commute on the cbr.

2. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I always worry when the bike's stripped down and not quickly rideable. What would happen if the inlaws threatened to come around at the weekend and I didn't have an excuse to get out and had to be here listening to whatever it is they can't possibly do for themselves this time. I couldn't survive a threat like that for 4 months out of 12.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

I think the most mine will see this winter is a push across the road to do some mods on it, really don't think cold roads and tyres are a good combination to learn on a new bike with extra horses, But you never know, we may get a nice day before they start to treat the roads for winter, in which case I would be mad to miss the opportunity ;)

4. Mel

Mel Active Member

I dont go as far as stripping it down, remove seat cowl, plug in optimate, done :) escape possible in under 5 mins :D

5. gary2390

gary2390 Active Member

I think i will give it another couple of weeks, then it will be tucked away, as the cold wet weather certainly doesnt entice me onto the bike

6. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Mel, get yourself the permanent connection lead from Optimate. Get's your escape time down to about 20 seconds.

Do you have a mother in law?

7. bry641

bry641 Active Member

mine is getting put to bed today........ive rode it twice since i bought it......paddock stands front and rear..........battery out and put in hotpress.......good wash and polish........sprayed wheel to wheel in acf50.......fcuk im depressed...........probably sit in today and POLISH MY HELMET

8. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Mine came with the optimate connector already fitted to the bike. I thought most new ones did? anyone else have this when they bought a new bike in the past few years?

9. Mel

Mel Active Member

yeah, mine has the lead right under the seat cowl, i asked the dealer to move it there for me when i bought the bike.

10. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Nope not on my last 2 brand new hondas .. I already had one so just bolted it on

11. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

ahh thought it came as standard on the blade now. mine is easy to get to. remove the small plastic side pod and it's hidden there

12. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Mine hangs beside the rear brake reservoir. It never occurred to me to put it in the 'Boot'. Much better arrangement. Guess what I'm up to tonight?

13. Mel

Mel Active Member

14. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

My bike's an 02 954, so it's got the flip up rear seat so I don't need to detach anything to get to it, just turn the key. Plenty of room in there and it's already got my extended tool roll, the alarm, the squirty tyre inflatey stuff and a collapsible ruck sack.

Funny, I used to buy cars based on how much timber I could get in it at the DIY place. Never occurred to me to use the same idea with a bike.

15. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

I've used an optimate for a few years now and when I got tired of removing the seat cowl decided on a better solution, so I fitted a cigar socket from optimate under the r and g tail tidy, so now all I do is plug in! Job done and no faffing around. Was a bit scary drilling into my new plastic tail tidy mind. But jobs a gud un.

16. Mel

Mel Active Member

haha, i can fit an ant (a big one mind you) under my seat :D

17. JM1

JM1 Active Member

No. HTH ;)

18. JM1

JM1 Active Member

I take offense at being called a liar! :):):)
    I genuinely do like riding in any conditions. Not always on a Fireblade of course.

19. Mel

Mel Active Member

liar! :D

20. JM1

JM1 Active Member

My optimate lead just hangs out under the LHS of the rider's seat - easy access!