Should I hang up my lid and give up the riding???

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by martinowen, Sep 21, 2012.

1. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

That sounds painfull! I have been doing alot of physio over last couple of months and I have a kind of program to follow with different types of exercise, as I have not been walking/standing properly for 7years my inside quad has not been used and has wasted away. They want me too get that to engage first before attempting riding a push bike on the road.
    I have pads stuck to inside leg that sends electric through the muscle (which you know about if you stick to high up!) and a wierd exercise bike that is like a chair with peddles
    Oh and I'm not to ride a motorbike this year :rolleyes: oops shhhh

2. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

Yet another late comer to the Thread , for that I apologise.
    Just to add my story, When I was 16 I had a major bike accident (50cc on L plates, teenage inexperience, hard vw golf driven by an idiot) it has left me with a left 2" leg limp and I have to wear a raised shoe to walk properly!!
    Just like you it was the desire to ride a a bike again that motivated me through, months of plaster casts then loads of physio.
    I love bike riding and no matter how hard you try you will always long for the feeling of freedom they give you. Dont get me wrongI would die for my family and indeed would give up my Fireblade tomorrow if they asked.
    But my wife is fantastic and It was SHE who juggled our non existent money to enable me to replace my 15yr old blade for a new one this July. My point being Ride safe and ride defensively, you don't have to find out its top speed...just know its there! If it feels unsafe back off and live to come home to cuddle your loved ones.
    I post the picture below just imagine how my heart feels when my 8yr old comes with me to the essex air ambulance run! It cant be beaten, Just drive like you have your child on the back all the time and you'll be fine.
    Take it Easy and whatevr you choose will be the right choice. we only live once.
    [​IMG]

3. Jase

Jase Elite Member

Some fantastic words of advise here if it was me ,I would stick to doing track days and see where you go from there.

4. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Plus you get away with wearing a cool backpack, zips.

• Like Like x 2
  5. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

That electric pulse speed healing device used to give me a bloody hard on.My bosses wife physio used to laugh and say that most men with thigh or knee injuries used to have boners on it.They called the machine Eric short for erection machine. You can hear the girls giggle when told to get Eric out.Got to the stage where you would watch where their eyes went.:D

• Like Like x 2
  6. IcarusGreen

IcarusGreen Elite Member

My dad used to take me on the back of his bike when I was that age :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. thezipsteruk

just enough room for the wallet, phone and lock! plus he aint gonna sleep with that green bastard starring at him lol.
    Parents bought it for a joke, so I wear it everytime I visit them to make them suffer. :)

8. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

Your lad looked comfortable on the back.My 13 yr old 6ft looks like a daddy long leg on the back.

9. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Lol didn't even notice the bag! That's cool, I was lucky I only lost 1/2 inch off my leg so not had a need for the shoes and im not sure if just my imagination but I think they may have corrected that with the new knee.
    I have never had an accident that is my fault, it's the other road users that are the worry.
    However I am alot more cautious of other people these days and alot more aware of the twits about but you still never know

10. Jase

Jase Elite Member

As Martin says a lot of the time it's the other road users fault,when I got my blade it came with yellow covers over the headlights making it really stand out from normal lights on bikes which people see but don't always react to,but with yellow lights they really do stand out .I don't think there legal in the uk but I have had no problems from the police and do not intend to remove them,they really do get noticed as people are not used to seeing them so take notice, so hopefully will think twice if pulling out of a junction on me .

They sell them here if interested www.fastbikebits.com/product/1611/honda-cbr-1000-rr-
    headlight-covers

#50 Jase, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  11. uselesshippy

uselesshippy Active Member

i personally think you have got the right bike, the Repsol is perfect, if you had a black one there would absolutely no need to ride slowly, past all those shop windows moderating your speed ;)

12. Fletch

Fletch Active Member

I'm sure it's been said already... If you can afford to have the bike sit in the garage... Just leave it there!

I reckon the urge to use it will return... If it's there the right hand regulates speed, no need for a slower bike!

If your not enjoying it (i didn't last year) It just sits in the garage! This year I'm loving it and getting out on it a fair bit!

13. thezipsteruk

Damn you, how did you find this out....i mean, nope I dont do this at all :rolleyes:

14. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Well looking at the weather packing the bike away for 6 months works well anyway

15. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

I may get a jet ski for trips to the shops! Roads like a river here today... Think I'm joking? My mate used to run the local golf club and once road his jetski up and down the 4th T.....lol

• Like Like x 1
  16. uselesshippy

uselesshippy Active Member

17. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

For some reason that looks very fast :D

18. kev.b

kev.b Well-Known Member

Don't. Give it up. Your doing good Martin , I broke my back, shoulder ankle a in a bike accident ,
    An would never stop riding ! I had mental flash backs of the pain in my back for a few years
    After I was better .

19. kev.b

kev.b Well-Known Member

Not raining here ! In zante Greece , fantasic weather very hot !
    Should have brought the blade !

• Like Like x 1
  20. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

You know you can go right off some people on here! ;)