SP1 Project

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ColinBR, Sep 23, 2012.

1. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

OOOOO just found this on eBay and its around the corner from me 261101716893

2. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

There he is look. Mr hang up my guns......

It's in your blood I tells ya. It's in your blood!...

3. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Now that is full on. Not my cup of tea with the stars and stripes, but a head turner none the less.

4. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

:D

5. ray

ray Well-Known Member

As I said in your other post, I just love the look of the SP's.

Keep up the good work Colin :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Ok so my brake and clutch lines have just arrived today, so I'll either get round to doing them tonight or leave it to a fresh start tomorrow. While I'm at it I need to check the connection to the fan as it didn't kick in when expected on the last check and the connections were a little green looking from water ingress.
    I'm also going to take the exhausts back off again and replace the front ring type gasket seal as I'm getting a little hissing coming from it still.

From there I'll take it out for a few more runs this week and then take it off the road to do any other work over the winter months.

Can't wait :D

7. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Quick update on todays events.

First on the list was to fit the new exhaust gasket to the front cylinder. So it was back off with the left hand fairing for some more room and also I needed into that side for the other fix for today.

Here's the old seal next to the new 1

[​IMG]

Once that was fitted, I re-sealed all the joins with fire gum and put the exhaust back togther, fired the bike up and thank fook it was all good :)

Next up while the side fairing was off it was time to fix the radiator fan, nothing complicated here, a quick clean of the connections and it worked a treat.

Then on to the brake and clutch lines from our very own Arthur (thanks mate). The fluid in all the lines was well past its best, a not so lovely orange/brown :( , so decided to just replace the lines while I was at it.

New lines laying in anticipation.
    [​IMG]

And on the bike looking great
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's all the must do bits done. Now it's just a case of putting a few miles on the saddle for the next few weeks, before doing all the major bits to the bike.

• Like Like x 3
  8. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm no expert but I think it was wise to replace that gasket. It looks to me like it was on its way out.

9. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Yup I agree, all sorted now though Ken :)

Loving this bike though it's so easy to work on. I'll get it really up to scratch over the winter. I've already sourced a new swingarm, and I plan on replacing all the tarnished bolts to bring it up to par.

10. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm getting excited and its not even my bike. It's such an iconic beast, it's a joy to see it. I followed one at a decent lick not long ago with the roof of the car down and sticking close to it with no restriction on the noise is incredible. It bellows like a bull but is still less shouty and much more controlled than the Ducati was. Love it.

11. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

I love the sound of it Ken with it's gear driven cams, it sounds just like the mechanical whine you get from a supercharger.

• Like Like x 1
  12. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

You need to get some one with an open top car then get Shiny to take up the road and follow him. It's nothing like the sound through a helmet. But you're right, it sounds like you don't have access to anywhere near the power that its actually making, just little bits of it escaping into the back wheel.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MrB

MrB God Like

My RVF has the same, great noise but unfortunately not the same ultimate noise as the SP.

• Like Like x 1
  14. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

It's the race through the Los Angeles river at the end of Gumball Rally. The blade is the Daytona, light, petite, loads of cylinders, dancing over the ground and the VTR is the Cobra, bulging, brutal shouty and with huge headlights just pushing the air out of the way as it goes past.

I've just had a sex wee.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

I'm pretty sure that V4 sounds fekking awesome mate. I haven't actually heard 1 in the flesh but if it's anything like the RSV4 then it's got to be a winner.

16. bladebhoy

bladebhoy Active Member

loving the thread colin, bikes looking good.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Thanks mate. I'm really enjoying bringing it back to it's best again.

18. ddc

ddc Member

Lovely bike mate and cracking thread. Love watching threads like these, keep the pics coming ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Ok well tomorrow is going to be a new 1 for me.
    I've never done the clutch on a bike before, but I'm going to strip and check the plates for warping.
    Reason being is that when out for a spin the other day the bike wouldn't change gear and I ended up stuck with 2nd and 3rd gears. This shouldn't be too hard and I can do it without draining the fresh oil that I put in the other day.

So looks like another day in the man cave for me :)

20. ray

ray Well-Known Member

Takes me back to my first bike.

Imported VFR NC30 with a Scorpion end can :)