Suspension Setup

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Jamiestrada, May 26, 2011.

1. Jamiestrada

Jamiestrada JamieMultiTraitor

+1, spill the beans lol

2. slowr1der

slowr1der Active Member

the truth of the matter is i dont know nor think to ask him to write them down for me (div). How ever he did say the bike was set up too stiff and i did notice a big difference once he had tweaked the front and rear. The bike now feels a bit more planted over the bumps and is turning in quicker. Rob you are welcome to try and suss the settings at Odiham if we have made it onto the trackday.

3. Gos6

Gos6 Active Member

Some interesting info, and will check my settings before making any adjustments. Want to try and get it sorted before Nurburg trip beginning of July.

4. Si.

Si. God Like

I had mine set up at Motrac Racing on Monday. I have got the settings here if anyone is interested. It handles superbly now. 13st with full gear is my weight.

5. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Same weight as me . I wouldn't mind trying the settings if it ok please.

6. Si.

Si. God Like

Pm sent to those who wanted the settings.

Churz.

7. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

added 1 turn of front rebound to the front and tested it out today.

bike settles before corners quicker and holds a tighter line without having to hold the brake

on standard setting i felt as soon as i let the brake off mid corner it wanted to run out a bit due to the fast rebound

will try softening the front comp a little next and i need to get my sag set too.

8. Jamiestrada

I have done exactly the same as you and its working :) went back to standard set up and am currently @ 1 turn on rebound 1/2 turn on comp on the front and 1/2 turn on rear rebound on back and its feeling a lot better

Just been doing a 1/4 turn on one aspect at a time seeing if I like it and how the bike responds, going again till I am happy.

Only thing is I cant wait to get these damn dunlop qualifiers off the bike, I dont rate them the bike feels slow to tip in and may be adding to my dislike of the handling, I am going to stick some Metzler interact K3's or dunlop sportsmarts (still cant make my mind up) on rear 55 profile which I hope will improve things.

#28 Jamiestrada, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  9. flatstickHRC

Thanks for that

Did you soften the comp by half a turn?

On the rear did you stiffen or soften the rebound? Feels like it could go a bit softer.

Thanks

Also u will get a much better turn in when u fit a 55 rear tyre

10. Jamiestrada

increased the front rebound by 1 turn softened the comp by 1/2 a turn and softened rear rebound by 1/2 a turn :)

if that makes sense also I am 14 stone kitted so front preload at 6 turns (STD) seems good sag wise @ 30mm

rear for me pos 5 +1 from std is 29mm and seems good :) still playing but a tiny change at a time (amazed at the difference)

Thanks for info on the tyres, what you running ?

11. flatstickHRC

yep thats what i was going for -1/2 turn front comp and speed up rear rebound by 1/2 turn

at the moment the front and rear dont quite seem to be reacting at the same rate.

im 13st so prob about 13.5 stone kitted up so not that far behind you.

is position 5 on rear standard setting? so for the rear you added i ramp harder on the preload? 29mm sounds about spot on.

maybe -1 turn on front preload would help as i think about 30-35mm front sag is recommended.

im running diablo corsa III at the minute. theyre pretty good but been around a while. the 55 profile rear feels alot more consistant turning in where a 50 rear feels like its slow then all of a suden as if it is falling over to me.

cheers

12. Jamiestrada

Thanks I will take your advice on the front preload and - 1 turn and see what I get.

I was the same as you, front and back seem to be working independently of each other. Front was so choppy I hated it :( but it's all OK now :)

I had Bridgestone BT-016's on the R1 and loved them, but I have heard such good things about the metzlers and dunlops I am going to give them a try