That's the end of it

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by flatstickHRC, Sep 11, 2011.

1. slowr1der

slowr1der Active Member

Ken GWS mate and best of luck to you and the family

Si

2. Moily

Moily Active Member

I've not been on here long, but am sorry to hear of your accident and retirement from riding. Hope your recovery goes well and maybe some time in the future you'll be back on two wheels, along with your imminent addition to the family.

Take care.

3. Caz

Caz Active Member

Sounds like this was a very close one but glad your here to tell us about it. Always makes me stop and think when I read a post like this, cant say I blame you for hanging up your boots after that. Hope you heal quick and good luck with the new baby

Caz

4. bladebhoy

bladebhoy Active Member

sorry to hear about your accident, it must have been a terrible time for your wife being so close to the birth. having kids definately slows you down. I am sure you have made the correct decision for yourself. I trust you will take the car driver for everything.

5. Carlosoul

Carlosoul Active Member

Sorry to hear about your accident, hope you heal quickly and enjoy being a dad. Some things are more important that biking... not many but some

6. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Bloody hell mate. I can't believe thats happened to you and so glad you are still with us and more importantly there for your daughter . Get well soon buddy and try and stay in touch through the forum . ( i wanna pick your brains on suspension setup lol )

7. Nutty Tart

Nutty Tart Well-Known Member

Jeez what a story .. I am sooo glad you are here and able to tell us about it .

Buy a lottery ticket RIGHT NOW ..........

Seriously tho' .. get well soon and enjoy the little one and take it easy

I did something similar on my R1 I had a few years back .. the BIG difference was the last part .. my stoppie ended about 6 inches from the vehicle .. I could actually see myself in the reflection of the side window .. so apart from crapping myself and then having a rant at the numpty driving the car all was well . ' So there but by the grace of God go I '

8. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

'Stick, been away all day so only just seen your post. I hope I don't need to ramble on about how absolutely devastated I am to read your news and how much I respect your decision. When it's time, it's time. Mine, Jeanette's and I'm sure everybody involved with 1000rr.co.uk feelings go out to you and yours. Your experience and knowledge have been invaluable since I joined the forum and I can only hope that you'll continue to give us all the benefit of your doubts in the future.

Get well soon and good luck in your momentous new adventure next month.

Bloke hug.

Ken

9. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

Sorry to hear of your bad news. Glad to hear that you made it out though.

Take care and hope you all the best with the little one.

Rob.

10. quattrochris

quattrochris Active Member

Hi, sorry to hear about your accident.
    I've recently got back on a bike after a 10yr break due to a fair few of my mates getting it very wrong when we were all a bit younger/stupid!! and decided enough was enough,and now to be honest still not sure about the whole biking thing anymore, theres more to life than bikes!
    Get well soon
    Chris.

11. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

I Really appreciate all the kind words of encouragement from everyone.

The bike has been released today so were going to have a look at it just out of interest. Will be a strange feeling seeing it again but I think it's worth doing.

Quite a long road ahead of us until I'm back to fitness and able to get on with life again but I'm just thankfull to still be here at the moment.

12. garyauk

garyauk Active Member

Hello pal, I've only just seen your post and I know exactly how you feel. I was knocked off back in April and I am still recovering from A broken Femur and fractured pelvis. I have been giving this a lot of thought mysely recently. It is a long road to recovery and I wish you all the best. Biking is in my blood, but now after 5 months I'm starting to think that "the fun" has now been taken away from me and I don't think it will be the same again. Don't get me wrong, I have ridden the bike again and I am not scared of it. I just don't "enjoy" it like I used to.

Enjoy your new baby pal

Gary

PS. I am using White Dalton solicitors to process my claim and they have been excellent, they treat and talk to you like a biker! and they totally understand

13. Jamiestrada

Jamiestrada JamieMultiTraitor

So sorry to hear about your accident, I hope you have a speedy recovery :)

We all read this thread thinking about our own mortality on todays roads, we all have near misses everyday, which for the most part we simply brush off as another poor driver or that was close :(

It just goes to prove we can all be as careful as we want but it just takes one persons lapse of concentration to completely change another persons life for ever.

I hope in time, you can get back on a bike, road or track, but as a father I completely understand your decision.

Good luck with the baby and I hope we still see you on the forum, after all it is the people that make this forum great, not just the bike we ride.

14. JM1

JM1 Active Member

That's against the forum rules :)

Really sorry to hear this mate. Sounds like you've got your current priorities right. Hope the recovery goes OK. You never know, you might feel different in a few years time.

15. Moily

Moily Active Member

After re-reading your unfortunate event, I'm interested to know if you had ABS and whether that kicked-in and helped with not locking up the front wheel? (not having an ABS model myself I'm wondering whether an upgrade might be worth considering)

16. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

I didn't lock the front wheel up.nIf I had done I wouldnt have survived as I would be under the car

I had the back wheel about 2 feet of the floor so physically couldn't brake any harder. I knew if I hit the car with both wheels on the deck it would be worse so did my best to get as high as possible and aimed for the softest part of the car.

Doubt abs would have made any difference tbh.

17. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

Only just read this and sorry to hear it mate. Get well soon!

18. Givover

Givover God Like

On a positive note there is Bike racing on the box .Dvds/ you- tube with funnies and TT highlights this superb site, your family and close mates ,And you are still knocking about .Buy some new toys and enjoy ! Regards Mike.

19. Bats

Bats Active Member

Gutted bad stuff man I know where your coming from i wrote off my 07 blade up the lakes and its hurt like fook not as bad as you but OW!

I though about giving up but it only lasted a few hours then 2 weeks later was on a 2011 hrc BUT i defo no where your coming from ;)

20. BladeRR8

BladeRR8 Active Member

Sounds like you were extremely lucky mate and totally understand why you want to pack it all in.

Good luck on a speed recovery and wish you and your new family all the happiness in the world, bikes are important but family first every time dude, enjoy them and all the best.