The storm is coming

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Barney1, Oct 25, 2013.

1. MrB

MrB God Like

Eerily quiet apart from the sound of the rain lashing down on the conservatory roof.

2. Barney1

Barney1 Guest

Well not long in from first call out ,

Very strong winds and pouring down ,

Have a feeling it going too be a long night :(

( just hope you lot realise were out there just so you can have your cuppa in the morning ) :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. lee1krr

lee1krr Active Member

Well thats me fcuked getting to work! All southern trains cancelled until at least 10.00 this morning.

4. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

didn't realise you were a milkman … we'll done that man !

• Like Like x 3
  5. tandbiskits

tandbiskits Active Member

A few trees down, but not quite the `Hurricane Katrina` they were predicting. Either the met office haven`t got to grips with their new apps on the weather predicting computer or they are still in fear of the `Michael Fish syndrome` .:eek:

6. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Manchester is just a typical wet Manchester morning - had much worse and trees barely moving.

Read of 99mph gusts on Isle of Wight which was predicted.

7. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Disaster here. One of our patio chairs moved about 6", freeing up the table, which then turned onto it's back. It's all a horrible mess, made worse by having to leave it in disarray to come to work this morning. The clear up operation will be undoubtedly hampered not only by it being dark when the clean up team arrive later, but also by there being nowhere to put my coffee when I do.

• Like Like x 2
  8. exfire

exfire Elite Member

Storm has only just hit here. Not nice here in Suffolk. Rain is not too bad but the wind is really strong. I live right opposite Thetford Forest, glad the road separates me from the big trees as some of them look like they might not stay upright. Wouldn't want to be in the bungalows backing onto the forest, the trees are at least 80 foot tall and the bungalows are about 30 feet from them.

My car port roof may not last though if the gusts get any worse.

9. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Interesting ride into work, took 90 mins instead of 45, friggin cars blocking everywhere, local roads covered in detrius and tree parts, A2 closed all the way to south London, and local roads gridlocked, eerily quiet in the City though, and car park very light on bikes

#49 Kentblade, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  10. MrB

MrB God Like

Well that was an anti climax

11. exfire

exfire Elite Member

Glad they over estimated the storm, at 0800 hrs I was worried about my car port roof, by 0915 it was pretty much over and with hardly any rain. I expect on the law of averages they will get it right one day.

12. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

yes lucky for us it didnt track up as far as lincolnshire

13. just_me _and _me _bike

Here in the midlands nr wolves bit of rain this morning n overnight, but lovely n dry now, even blue skies :) so im cleaning me bike on ghe drive, radio on, tea n cake on the go, covered in shampoo, wd49 n mr sheen, Mrs at work HEAVEN!! :D

14. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Yeah, it's been Blues Skies and sunshine mostly today with no wind in Cheshire.

Looks bad darn sarff on T'News though! :eek:

15. thefirebloke

thefirebloke Elite Member

What a storm? Has there been a storm?? ;)

16. tandbiskits

tandbiskits Active Member

No.

I expect its us shandy drinking southeners making a big deal of a slight breeze, it`s probably everyday life for you `oop north`.

• Like Like x 2
  17. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

ESSEX HURRICANE APPEAL !

A hurricane (Hurricane Shazza) and earthquake measuring 5.8 on the Richter Scale hit Essex in the early hours of this morning with its epicentre in Basildon. Victims were seen wandering around aimlessly, muttering "Faaackinell".

The hurricane decimated the area causing almost £30 worth of damage. Several priceless collections of mementos from Majorca and the Costa del Sol were damaged beyond repair. Three areas of historic burnt out cars were disturbed. Many locals were woken well before their Giros arrived.

Essex FM reported that hundreds of residents were confused and bewildered and were still trying to come to terms with the fact that something interesting had happened in Basildon . One resident - Tracy Sharon Smith, a 15-year-old mother of 5 said, "It was such a shock, my little Chardonnay-Mercedes came running into my bedroom crying. My youngest two, Tyler-Morgan and Victoria-Storm slept through it all. I was still shaking when I was skinning up and watching Jeremy Kyle the next morning."

Apparently looting, muggings and car crime were unaffected and carried on as normal.

The British Red Cross has so far managed to ship 4,000 crates of Special Brew to the area to help the stricken locals. Rescue workers are still searching through the rubble and have found large quantities of personal belongings, including benefit books, jewellery from Ratners and Bone China from the Pound shop.

HOW CAN YOU HELP?

This appeal is to raise money for food and clothing parcels for those unfortunate enough to be caught up in this disaster. Clothing is most sought after - items most needed include:
    Fila or Burberry baseball caps
    Kappa tracksuit tops (his and hers)
    Shell suits (female)
    White stilettos
    White sport socks
    Rockport boots
    Any other items usually sold in Primark.

Food parcels may be harder to come by but are needed all the same. Required foodstuffs include:
    Microwave meals
    Tins of baked beans
    KFC
    Ice cream
    Cans of Special Brew.

22p buys a biro for filling in the compensation forms
    £2 buys chips, crisps and blue fizzy drinks for a family of nine
    £5 buys fags and a lighter to calm the nerves of those affected.

**BREAKING NEWS**

Rescue workers found a girl in the rubble smothered in raspberry alco-pop and were worried she had been badly cut...
    "Where are you bleeding from?" they asked,
    "Romford" said the girl, "woss that gotta do wiv you?"

• Like Like x 6
  18. gRRandeelion

gRRandeelion Active Member

Listen mate down sarf even our water is hard.

• Like Like x 1
  19. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Did my first ever nightshift through the storm, the wind was bad enough to blow me over on my arse at one point lol, kept getting whipped in the face with my tie and I got soaked by the rain all night.
    The bloke I sent to Isle of Wight in a 44ton lorry on the ferry was scared of boats and they had just recorded 93mph winds past the needles so I'm not his favourite person now!

Oh and after 12 hours of getting wet they showed me where my waterproof gear was, w@nkers!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Kpone....just seen this Essex update, they are drafting in 1000 structural engineers, there is major concern that thousands of porch canopies are at risk from an incorrect mix used in the Chinese made polystyrene matting that makes up 90% of fake canopy pillars, the blowy conditions that allowed trains to run in Kent but stopped all of them in Essex has accelerated the problem, so far no one has been crushed by polystyrene yet, but there is concern that Essex residents may struggle to leave their homes to make their benefit appointments.

Good news is that over in Kent, we all made it into work and are filling the tax and NI coffers to pay for them lazy b**tards across the river :)

• Like Like x 1