Tight Chain

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Carl, Sep 21, 2011.

1. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

I don't think so Ken . The swinger moves up and down when you sit on it , go over bumps etc . sprocket to sprocket will hardly be affected by the swinger sitting 10mm higher at the wheel end . it would make a tiny degree of a turn at the pivot end

• Like Like x 1
  2. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

Cheers dan, good enough for me, going to have one when replacement time comes. Thanks. Sorry to jump into your thread bud.

3. dan.1moore1

Don't worry mate ,, not my thread lol.. You won't regret the 55 mate

4. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

I have taken the wheel off, inspected and re-fitted. The chain has about 25mm which would just be ok, however I have to put a degree of weight on my finger to get to the 25mm? It is noteworthy that as I previously mentioned the manufacturers paint marks are still on the adjusters so no adjustment has ever been made, I can only assume the chain is as tight as it was and has always been?
    One thing I had not thought of is tight spots in the chain, I'll check that tomorrow? Even if the chain has tight spots that will be down to uneven stretching not shrinking so that wouldn't make sence either, this bike has only done 2800 miles so the chain should still be good?

5. dan.1moore1

It may have only done 2800 but being an 05 it has done a lot of standing around ..has it always been well lubed ?

6. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

That I don't know, I have done a 1000 of the miles and I keep my chain clean and lubed, you might be right, standing around has been a big part of this bikes life. I will adjust to the tightest sections of chain and replace it in the spring. I ride during the dry days of winter but not much.
    Thanks for you help, talking it through helps you consider all posibilities.

7. masterblader

masterblader Active Member

Change tyres for club members on a regular basis fitting a new tyre will effect the prevoius chain adjustment, get members to sit on their bikes before final adjustments. Some tyre shops allow juniors to slap them on without proper checks.

8. fireblader28

fireblader28 Active Member

I've got years of main dealer workshop experience so.that's how i know how a tyre can affect chain tension! And, like you say, spotty work experience lads! :)

9. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

A word of caution. If you have tight spots in your chain, GET RID OF IT. You might save a few quid by not replacing it now, but if it snaps!!!!!!!!
    Flatstick said "are the wheel spacers in right way round?" Worth checking!

#29 megawatt, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  10. dan.1moore1

Well on my Brand new bike i changed the oem tyres at 1200 miles coz the rear was knackerd . Took the wheels of my self , took them to get the tyres fitted , Refitted making no adjustments to the swing arm bolts and the chain was the same, If anything i had to tighten the chain as it had stretched from new

11. fireblader28

fireblader28 Active Member

Not calling you a liar Dan!!! Chain adjustment isn't always necessary after a tyre change but its something I'd always check, but then i used to lube customers chains as part of the service. A new/taller tyre can make a tight chain tighter, so its something to check! And I'll agree, if in doubt then change it, snapped chains cause a right mess to the back of the motor, not to mention the chance of it throwing you off with it...

12. dan.1moore1

I don't think you are mate ,, just saying i didn't experience it . Its pointless now trying to find the cause , New chain , Fit to spec , Job done

13. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Having taken the wheel off double checked everything and re-fitted my findings are: The chain is in very good condition, no tight links or uneven stretching. The slack was little more than 20mm and the adjustment bolts have never been altered from new. If the bike is on its paddock stand or side stand the slack remains the same and given that the new tyre will have no effect on the paddock stand its not the tyre. I have adjusted to 30mm i.e between 25-35mm and all is well.

I would therefore suggest that the bike left the dealer from new with a tight chain, there is no other explanation?

14. dan.1moore1

Yeah it must have .. All sorted now .. Get out and enjoy

15. NickB

NickB Active Member

Are the sprockets worn oval. When i bought my blade the chain had 50mm slack at one point and 5 mm play at another due to the sprockets being worn unevenly. I changed the chain and sprockets and the difference is unbelieveable.

16. Nutty Tart

Nutty Tart Well-Known Member

I can't see it myself ... the tightness of the chain is a relationship between the two sprockets .... not the tyre .

When the bike is on the paddock stand it doesn't get tighter ... and thats more than a higher profile tyre could ever match .

verbal grenade now :bolt:

17. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

Did you make sure the ally side plate adjusters were put back the correct way? One way will make it tighter than tother!