Very fast gaming pc help

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Si., Oct 8, 2014.

1. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

good grief. you can so much more for so much less these days :)

I have just bought myself an intel i7 5930k @4.2Ghz (6 cores and 12 threads) 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, MSI X99S sli board, two GTX970 in SLI, 1000w Antec modular PSU, to go with my two SSD 240 drives in RAID0, and 2TB back SATA 6GB's drive, gaming case with blue leds and loads of fans ;) but still quiet :)
    got to have something to play with now track day season is coming to an end :)
    I just need a bloody big Monitor now, or maybe three for online racing ;)

2. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Nice receipt Andy, it's sure has moved on and keeps going as Mr Moore predicted, transistor counts on GPUs is just huge now and as Andy says single cards are capable of crunching some serious numbers. I don't think a single card is a problem at all and for the most part 90% of users would never require any more! and if they did they could just swap it out for another however I think SLI bridges that gap and offers something for theses who play the latest games and wish to keep their rig on song, I love to run multiply displays so guess some of my SLI obsession comes from early days of multiple cards for those requirements, however SLI and Multi screen edit stations had little to offer performance wise.

Anyway I should photo some prices from the 80's they will give you a laugh...lol

I am trying to stay away from those nice new cards at the mo, just given this old girl some more ram, new SSDs and a couple of SSHDs and she still is falling behind! Oh well...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheRamJam

TheRamJam Well-Known Member

Here's a few of the bits off my current build.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have it all tucked in an NZXT switch 810 case with a 240GB SSD drive for the OS system and 2TB of storage. I haven't overclocked it yet as I am saving some cash to install a custom water loop system with a 360mm radiator. But even on air cooling the temps are good, I am running the CPU under voltage and idle temp is around 31 degrees which is amazing and the system is fully stable running all stress tests with no BSODs.

• Like Like x 2
  4. arthurbikemad

5. Andy

Andy Active Member

Nice Arthur, how about this ?

OCZ RevoDrive350 240GB PCI-E SSD with Adaptor Card (RVD350-FHPX28-240G) [RVD350-FHPX28-240G]

Or

OCZ RevoDrive350 480GB PCI-E SSD with Adaptor Card (RVD350-FHPX28-480G) [RVD350-FHPX28-480G]

1.8GB/s and 140,000 4KB random write IOPS

• Like Like x 1
  6. arthurbikemad

1.8Gb/s yeah ok, that's me in...lol

• Like Like x 1
  7. arthurbikemad

Speed is the topic of the day for me too, sat here moving 171Gb of data from a RAID1 NAS disk on a 100BASE network! Fkkk!!! Started at 8.30AM and still 55min to go at 1:04pm!

Once it's done this NAS disk is history! Moving over to SSHD's in 5 1/4 caddy for backups! Sick of slow data rates to NAS disk!

AND I am sick of the user interface (yeah you can load the software and access by my computer or flash www interface - PUKE) on these NAS drives, RAID controllers are a PITA as you can just pop the drive into another PC, formatted for the NAS only, a propper ball ache!

#47 arthurbikemad, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

I gave up gaming a few years back. Used to run rigs like dual athlons back in the early 2ks but dropped out before sli really took off.

This days I tend to run big apps which need disk and memory and opposed to extreme gpus and cpus. I will probably update my current system in the next 12 months as more programs are coming out which can utilise the gpu for processing. If you want to run number intensive stuff then GPUs will stomp all over CPUs.

For now though I will stick with my 3yo i7 with 16gb ram, 500gb 6gb sata3 ssd boot disk, 500gb 6gb sata ssd data disk, amd radeon something (hd6900?) Dell xps 8300. Both ssds are in the 500 rw range and was very tempted to go OCX Revo but decided to leave it for now.

Main storage is a dual nic 4 slot synology nas running 802.3ad gigabit across a full duplex cat 6 managed gigabit backbone. Currently have 4x3tb disks in it giving me 6gb useable with a 3tb iSCSI lun for my esx server. Moving data is a doddle as it happily chuggs along at 200MB a sec across the network. Shame I only get a 2Mb internet connection LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  9. arthurbikemad

Years back I was all cool with PC's and ran a side line of building them as well as working in non lin digital video and print, then we used to stripe SCSI discs under Windows NT on Adaptec UW SCSI interfaces, data rates were good for the times, now it seems you still have to spend to avoid bottlenecks and now and then you find things that are not what you expect performance wise, on the other hand sometimes you have an eyebrow up when you stripe a couple of SSD's to boot from, plus some of the games now (not that I play) are stonking! Was messing around again today at Novatech looking at some active 3D demo's running, WoW things really are getting good!

10. sinewave

sinewave God Like

I didn't realise fully grown Adults actually played Pewter Games??? ;)

:D

11. arthurbikemad

They don't ;) But governments play war games :)

:D

12. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

I recently upgraded my PC to an AMD FX-8320 (I'm an AMD boy), Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0, Crucial M500 240GB SSD (got 2 of them now). Got the CPU overclocked nicely to 4.2ghz on silent air. Just need a new case (currently have a rather large Coolermaster Cosmos 1000) and a newer gfx card and I'll be set for next year's games. Bring it on! :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. arthurbikemad

Nice, you got to love it! I used to be an AMD fan (waaaaaay back 386DX - 40Mhz!!!! I sill have that PC in a loft lol), saying that I do have a bin PC (one you make out of parts that were aimed for the bin) in the workshop and it works ok, you could even say its one of the best as it just plods along all day and lives in a damp workshop. Only problems I ever had with AMD were down to odd clock timings when once long long ago I used to mess around with slow scan TV (a ham radio thing), otherwise who would even know Intel from AMD now??? But I still buy Intel CPU's, its the SNOB in me ;)

• Like Like x 2
  14. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Ya seen how much ZX80/81's are fetching?

When I was at School the Pewter of choice was the BBC Model B! :D

15. arthurbikemad

Haha, yeah best I saw the Beeb do was ply sweet dreams via 5 1/4 inch floppy, was shit but at the time it was as cool as my portable Sinclair black and white TV! Shame you had to climb a pilon to get a picture...lol I sold a Spectum a little while back with some games for 100quid!!! Was mint, still I have another and a ZX81..lol

• Like Like x 2
  16. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Funny you should mention that as I just got this to watch with the kids on a rainy weekend. Few months ago we watched Electric Dreams and even with the old tech they enjoyed it, lucky really as it is one of my favourite films lol.

wopr.jpg

I tend to name my techy stuff after film computers. I currently have WOPR, TIM and ORAC. Me a geek, never :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  17. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

I switched to AMD back in the 486DX days and haven't gone back since. I mean the DX's had a co-processor ffs! A lot cheaper than Intel's too ;) Although I did manage to blow up 16MB RAM (approx £400 worth back then) by plugging it into my board the wrong way around. No handy guidance slots back then. The (un)funny thing was - it was my mate's RAM!! And he's still my mate now believe it or not lol :D

18. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

I am not a "fanboy" of either of them,m I just have which is the best at the time, done AMD, ATI, Nvidia and Intel :)

19. Matty1985

Matty1985 Member

Intel and Nvidia fan boy here. had AMD in the past and always gone back. I Stick to what I know now.

Also the GTX980 is the daddy of all cards right now granted, however if you check to see how much it out performs its 780 predecessor the price tag really doesnt account for that. I actually read somewhere that the 970 is the card to have for the money, out performs all other cards will run all 1920x1080 on ultra and will save you £££'s over the 980.

Or you play it safe and wait for the next gen cards.... Yeah its going to be a year off. However, it will be built on new Architecture and run 20nm processors making them a leap above the current 980 performance. The 980 now was meant to be realised on this tech but they've squeezed all they can out of these cards to make them better than AMD and don't need to release them yet. Yeah you'll have to wait a while for it but in the mean time I dont know what games you boy plays? if he wants it solely for COD and battlefield now then a GTX 680 will run them on pretty much maxed settings and wait a year and go the full hog. The 680's are cheap as chips now.

If he wants to play Dayz or Arma games then the 900 series is for you. Poorly optimised games need all the help that thy can get!!

Im also a very big fan of corsair from fans, cases, coolers and ram.

20. arthurbikemad

My girl's lad needed a pC for his Uni, so off to Novatech to grab some bits :)

[​IMG]

Next to build it up :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All done :)

[​IMG]

Sorry about the phone pics..

Final spec:-

Corsair Builder Series CX600 - 600 Watt 80 PLUS

Pioneer BDR-209DBK 16x Blu Ray Re-Writer - Black

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VII HERO Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-19200 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit

MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING TWIN FROZR V OC 4GB GDDR5

Samsung 840 Evo Basic 250GB Solid State Hard Drive 2.5" Basic Kit with Data Migration Magician Software - Retail

Seagate Desktop SSHD 2TB Hybrid SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" 8GB MLC SSD

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 4790K 4.0GHz Socket LGA1150

Arctic Freezer i30 CPU Cooler

Iiyama Prolite GB2773HS-GB1 27 Inch Gaming Monitor

Corsair Carbide Series? SPEC-01 Mid Tower Gaming Case- Blue LED

Total cost £1450.00

Should keep him going for a while, it rips too running 7 64BIT Pro, boot time fully installed about 15secs. Nice! Makes mine look slow :(

• Like Like x 3