What camera to buy?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Freedom of choice, Jul 18, 2012.

1. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

It is butt ugly, but it looks like technology, rather than a fashion accessory, which I like.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Villan

Villan Active Member

I'm not a great photographer, far from it, but I have the Samsung EX1 and it makes my dodgy snaps look quite impressive. The only gripe I have with it, is that it has a lens cover, not an automatic opening lens door thingy type wosname!

3. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Slow down V. I can only absorb so much jargon in one hit mate.

4. Villan

Villan Active Member

Haha Ken. Are they called shutters. I dunno!

Its also very good in low light. I think is because the glass oohjabba at the front is quite wide?

5. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

They should be called shutters V. In a much more poetic world they would be. But they're not. The shutter is a completely different part of the camera. The words you're grasping for are integrated lens cap.

However, your second premise is spot on, the width of the glass oohjabba is directly correlated to the low light capabilities of the camera and we call this the 'speed' of the lens. The wider your oohjabba is, the 'faster' it is.

It appears that you are a better, technical photographer than you give yourself credit for and certainly more knowledgeable than many of the numpties I have for customers.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Barney1

Barney1 Guest

Canon 70 200 f2.8 , best everyday lens there is , and a canon 300 f2.8 I have both and can't fault them
    My advice buy a canon 40d and throw a canon 70 200 on it the pictures you'll get will be cracking for close up stuff and bike pictures if your in to that

7. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

Thanks everyone for your input. I read everything last night and it made my head hurt. Read it all again this morning and its made my head hurt again. Too much info that I don’t understand. But picking the bones out of it I am leaning towards a bridge camera. If we get time this weekend we will go and have a look round. Thanks again fella’s

8. Freedom of choice

After much head scratching and chin stroking we went camera shopping today.

After taking everything in account what you fella's have said and read numerous on line reports we made a list of what we thought is important to us and what we want to do with the camera.. We decided a full blown DSLR with various lenses would be a nice to have, but will never used properly or to its full potential.

We wanted something better then our Olympus FE-230 compact and Blackberry telephone cameras so we decided on a bridge camera. The Fujifilm X-S1 as suggested by Ken is awesome but is way over the top for us simpletons and we decided the extra cost would be totally wasted on us. So we looked at the middle ground range and had more or less decided on the Nikon Coolpix P510 as it does everything we want plus has a huge zoom but………..Only going to mention the two main things that influenced our decision

First impression: The Nikon felt cheap and flimsy and overall not a thing of quality, it was also so small it was not comfortable to hold or muck about with the buttons and controls. The screen also felt like it was about to snap off if you moved it on its adjustment bracket.
    Second: The auto zoom was vague and in particular the focus seemed to take forever to sort itself out. Not impressed at all.

We then looked at a few others and decided on the Fujifilm HS30EXR (also recommended by Ken):

First impression: Felt good in the hand, right size to use the buttons and the screen seemed overall better build quality that didn’t feel like it was about to snap at any minute.
    Second: the manual zoom was spot on (I hate to say it, Ken you are spot on again) and focus took milliseconds

So we are the proud owners of a Fujifilm HS30EXR and will update with some photos as soon as we get the hang off it.

Thanks again everyone who took the time to give us advice.

David

• Like Like x 1
  9. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I broke one of them at Silverstone last week.

10. Freedom of choice

I was going to send you are private thank you for all your help but seeing the above bollocks.

11. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

It's ok. It turns out it was neither my fault nor the camera's. The frame counter had tripped over 999,999 frames. God knows how but it was one of their demo hacks. Apparently when it's does, the computer says 'you're taking the piss mate' and claims enough is enough. You have to reset it to '0' and it starts all over again. But nobody told us this.

At least you know it's capable of going round the clock.