What fast road -trackday tyres ?

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Remal, Mar 28, 2011.

1. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

They'll look extra nice after Brands!

Shortie, stumpy OEM hugger. Not the big HRC pile of balls.

2. Bobmg

Bobmg Active Member

Hi Rich
    I am currently running the standard qualifers then came on the bike as standard , i have got a pair of dunlop GP211 ready to go on when i have had the bike dynoed , i have been advised though that they have no grip till they are fully warmed up and therefore are really any good for track days , any advice would be grateful

Cheers Paul

3. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

stunning mate, I have the standard tyres on mine with the Honda hugger. Should not make any difference I hope having another make of tyre on with the same profile but going to be a while until my 4000 mile tyres need replacing but will be the reacetec or Pirelli's either way

4. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

This is the advice I got from a local Track Day organiser, Track Sense. They supply & fit tyres as well as organising European Track events.

We can supply Dunlop Sportsmart not problem - I have a front in stock, but I will need to order a rear... If you confirm by lunchtime on Monday, the rear will be here on Tuesday... Price for a pair of Sportsmart 120/70ZR17 & 190/50ZR17 including ride-in/ride-out service is £264 (£3 extra if you want a 190/55ZR17 rear).

The other tyre you might want to consider is Dunlop GP Racer D211... We have all sizes in stock, and the price for a pair in 120 front & 190/55 rear is £289 including the ride-in/ride-out service... These are a bit more money I know, but they are the ulitmate trackday/fast road tyre - we've tested them thoroughly at Jerez and Almeria and they are a lot better on track than Supercorsa BSB... They are road legal, but to be honest, the performance they offer is a bit over-the-top for road riding.

If you main priority is trackday performance, and you run front end of medium group or in fast group on a trackday, go for the GP Racer... But if your main priority is fast road, go for the Sportsmart... Sportsmart is good on the track (I've used them on my own bike in fast group), but GP Racer is better if you are quick enough to make use of the extra performance available... Sportsmart rear will obviously last longer than GP Racer on the road (front tyre wear is not an issue on either tyre - both fronts last for ages!)... So like I said... GP Racer = trackday priority, but good for fast road (only disadvantage for the road is a higher wear rate on the rear, and not quite as good in the wet)... Sportsmart = priority fast road, but good for trackdays (only advantages are longer rear tyre life than a GP Racer, and better in the wet).

Let me know what you want to do.

5. Bikeracer1098

Bikeracer1098 Active Member

Rob

I totally agree with all of these comments.

The only thing that wasn't mentioned is that Pirelli Supercorsa BSB's are available for around £200, which is a bargain compared with the GP Racers, especially if the bike is predominanlty being used on road.

However I used to go through a pair of Supercorsa SP/BSB's each track day!!!

Cheers
    Rich

#25 Bikeracer1098, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  6. Bikeracer1098

Bikeracer1098 Active Member

Hi Paul

Have already sent you a PM regading this.

Cheers
    Rich

"Hi Rich
    I am currently running the standard qualifers then came on the bike as standard , i have got a pair of dunlop GP211 ready to go on when i have had the bike dynoed , i have been advised though that they have no grip till they are fully warmed up and therefore are really any good for track days , any advice would be grateful

Cheers Paul"

• Like Like x 1
  7. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I don't use the bike for commute or often when wet. unless it rains when out. 90% of my riding will be on the road and not too fussed with getting loads of miles from the rear due to doing 3-4k a year. Cheers Paul for the info. more to look at. I wonder how many miles people get from the sportmart. if it's loads I normally think they are giving less grip for the expense of grip.

8. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

I found this video really interesting:

[video]http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/6189441[/video]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bobmg

Bobmg Active Member

Hi Rich
    Never got the pm mate

Cheers Paul

10. Brym

Brym Active Member

Skipped through a few bits as its a bit long but some good info there, I did not realise the circumference can change so much between tyres I was thinking a few Millimieters but it can be upto 25mm on some.

11. stu-pendus

stu-pendus Active Member

I have Power ones on mine and completely agree with this comment,they just go totaly light and then break loose in a uncomfortable and unconfident inspiring manner.
    My bike is used by Francis Williamson for trackday coaching(MSV instructor and ex BSB rider)who also commented the same.He prefers Dunlop D211 and Pirelli Supercorse SP's but obviously runs around a lot quick than most of us would.

12. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

Right, made a decision on the Dunlop SportSmart. I do need decent performance in the wet so I think these fit the bill nicely with good dry performance and stickier on the sides. I think I'm going to go with the 190/55 profile (same as the SuperCorsas) for a quicker turn in and larger contact patch on the corner for track days :Banane44:

13. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

OK looking into the Supercorsa more. I have a friend who can get me these but when asking about the rear profile he told me they only do 50 rear profile and not the 55 I have on there at the moment? strange they don't do the 55 and what would I find if I went from 55 to 50 rear profile? will it make a difference. I know it means the tyre will not be as tall and more rounded then the 55. But would it change the feel of the tyre?

cheers in advance

14. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey mate, he means they only do a 55 profile. The blade has a 50 profile as standard.

I'm getting 55 profile SportSmarts fitted on Thursday. 55 profile gives slightly quicker turn in and more contact patch when leaning the bike. I would get SuperCorsas if I did not use the bike for commuting. SportSmarts will be better in the wet.

15. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Ahhh right. OK. So 55 should be fine on the blade even if they are 50 profile as standard

cheers

#35 Remal, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  16. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

Sure are. I haven't tried them yet but loads do and everyone says the bike handles better with a 55.

17. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

My opinion of the Supercorsa BSB's gets better and better.

I've now done 2 trackdays at Brands and Silverstone (yesterday in the sunshine!), plus many long rideouts and they have taken me to Paris and back. The wear is even, they heat up very quickly and an excellent tyre, especially for £200.

The only very minor niggle i have is they look a bit skinny on the bike compared to the Michelins. But that is only cosmetic and pointless really - just an observation. Also, the BSB yellow print on the tyre wall looks ace!

18. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

thanks for the feedback. How many miles have you now done on them? Does u have much meat on them? just wanting to find out how many miles you may get from the rear

19. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

Road use I'd say 600 to Paris and back, 700 in Rideouts then track use Brands and Silverstone (plus riding there) would be about 700 miles of aggressive abuse. So thats what, 2000 and there is still meat on the bones, although they are slightly squaring now, but not massive. I think there are about 500 miles left before i change them.

20. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

Just got the SportSmarts with the 55 rear put on. Will report back in due course.