what steering damper?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Kstead, Nov 18, 2011.

1. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Mate your not alone about the hesd most feel just the same, the point is at some speeds and/or tps it does little or nothing, they may use such a system in mgp but we all know they are worlds apart and Ive never seen anyone use hesd on track, if you have always had fixed style or rsc style dampers then what you feel is like riding with no damper, I have the same sometimes I jump on bikes with no damper and they feel very loose! Not nice when your so used to a half wound damper..and choppy to say the least...

Posted on my HTC Sensation with Tapatalk

2. viper_biker

viper_biker Active Member

A proper tank slapper is when your pads get pushed back into the caliper, other than that, it's just a wee wiggle LOL

Worst one I've ever had was landing a wheelie a little crossed up and put the front into a good wiggle. Had 3 stabs at the brake lever before it worked.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate myself as 6 out of 10 in all-round bike ability. Can hoon about on 1 wheel, can get the sliders to the tarmac without looking like a monkey, and can keep pace with a few racer mates on the road (definately not on the track though), spend all my time on the bike as the car is the missus', toured Europe, done the 'Ring etc etc And never in the 2 1/2 years of owning the CBR have I ever felt like I needed the HESD to control the bike for me. Maybe it's the suspenders in the bike, maybe I'm smoother than I think, maybe I'm not pushing it as hard as others, but the only thing that would stop me from changing the HESD is that every damper on the market gor the 2004 CBR's to dates are U.G.L.Y.

3. Kstead

Kstead Active Member

URGENT!!!! Check your dampers guys, the issue with mine is that the arm has come loose on the spline!!! Not good but an easy fix, new damper as the spline is forked but I just won a spanker of eBay for 35 notes. It all makes sense now though, those 5 degree of play just allowed it to get beyond what the damping rate could cope with. I'll post a clip when I get a chance but maybe if yours is slap happy it got the same issue!

• Like Like x 1
  4. exfire

exfire Elite Member

Thanks Kstead, will look at mine, especially as it has slapped a few times. Cheers mate